Wednesday 2 May 2012

Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg

On Monday night I don't remember getting even an hour of sleep. I tried to go to bed early, but I think my nerves and excitement finally started kicking in! Luckily, I had to wake up quite early that morning so that we could get to Port Elizabeth International Airport in time for my flight (the drive would take 3 hours), and so I didn't have to try and sleep for too long.

My family drove me down to Port Elizabeth International Airport, and we checked my baggage. Once that was sorted, we went to our all-time favourite, the "Wimpy" for a big breakfast. As much as I wanted to have a big breakfast, I was so excited and nervous that I just couldn't even eat anything.


My darling sister, Sabrina
I met one of the other finalists, Pieter Jacobus Strydom (Kobus) in the airport, and I was so happy, because at least I would not be flying all alone! Kobus is from Langkloof, near Port Elizabeth, and he farms apples and pears. I was also happy to have a fellow farm boy with me!

My Uncle Scotty, who came to say goodbye
It was finally time to say our goodbyes to out parents, and even though I know that deep down inside I was a little bit sad to be leaving, I was just too excited to be thinking about anything but "I am actually going to AMERICA". My mum got a bit emotional, but that is completely normal, and so I said my goodbyes, and then caught up to Kobus after the "security check".

The flight from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg was a lovely short flight, and Kobus and I were fortunate enough to sit together during the flight. We got to know each other more, and we had a flight full of laughter and fun.

The "take off" and "landing" of the aeroplane was also a great highlight of the flight, as I love that feeling in the take off just as the plane lifts off the ground, and you get that odd sensation in the pit of your stomach, and then your whole body goes numb. Also, the landing, as Kobus really enjoys his rugby, and so just before we land he counts down "5...4...3...2...1...Touchdown" which is honestly quite hilarious and very original.

We finally arrived in Johannesburg OR Tambo, and it was definitely a big change compared to the Port Elizabeth airport. For one, it is much larger than the Port Elizabeth airport, and another, it has flat, walking escalators (which I have found out are actually known as "travellators") and so we had an absolute blast being lazy and allowing these travellators to take us all along the Johannesburg airport!

My two cousins, Robyn and David specially drove down to see me, as we had quite a long wait in the OR Tambo. We went to Mugg and Bean, which was delicious, and then went hunting for sweets (our favourite things). Kobus's brother also came down to see him, and so it all worked out very nicely.

It was so lovely to see my cousins, as I usually only see them once a year. We then had to say our goodbyes again, and find our delegation leaders (Priscilla and Fourten) and Shraddha Rajcoomar, who is the other finalist. I must admit, I was quite nervous to meet them all, but they are all so friendly, and so I knew that this would be a very fun and enjoyable journey ahead.


We then checked in for Washington, and then it finally hit me. I was actually going to America.

No comments:

Post a Comment